The proposed translation unit in the Faculty of Science and Arts – Khulais, compared with its counterparts in Saudi Universities, uniquely offers students a real opportunity for development in translation academically and professionally. It qualifies them, in this critical point in the history of Saudi Arabia, to play an important role in the different fields such as media, commerce, economy, law and science. In addition, it qualifies them to take part in scientific institutions, government departments and research foundations. Also, compared with the local and regional translation units, which are traditional and confined only to Arabic and English languages, the proposed translation unit is supposed to make use of the huge scientific and technological advancement in the field of translation. It proposed, making use of this advancement, to design a study plan which enables students to translate/interpret efficiently and accurately among many different languages. All this will be in accordance with the development plans in Saudi Arabia which make use of science, skills and thoughts developed by other countries to be localized and incorporated in the country and meet the domestic needs.
The translation unit will provide qualified academic staff and technicians to help students achieve knowledge and interact with the syllabus and environment efficiently. This staff offers daily assistances to the translation unit students since they have to be available at their offices for five hours a day.
:A conference interpretation hall
This small hall, which is similar to international conferences halls, is equipped with the necessary devises for managing, translating/ interpreting conferences and scientific activities. It provides students with a practical chance for real training in translation/ interpretation and access to live interaction with global translation/ interpretation sites.
Having completed the required courses in the English programme (translation), a student should acquire the following skills:
- To use English and Arabic languages competently to translate/interpret texts and thoughts accurately and professionally using different methods.
- To be professionally skillful in translation/ interpretation with concentration on one or two fields of knowledge.
- To be able to use modern technologies such as computer needed for translation.
- To be able evaluate and assess scientifically the researches in the field of translation and be able to choose the suitable research methods.
- Having completed a practical training, a student should be capable of evaluating and analyzing printed texts and speech. Also, he should be capable of translating texts and interpreting conferences and audiovisual materials.